How the WCHS Book Drive is Aiding Eastern Kentucky Schools

Beginning on July 25th, 2022, and lasting for 5 days, severe floods invaded Eastern Kentucky and central Appalachia. This series of floods destroyed schools, homes, and businesses. This resulted in around 40 deaths and hundreds of missing and injured people. Entire communities were swept away, and the people of Eastern Kentucky are now left in the wake of this natural disaster, struggling to pick up the pieces. The timing of these floods could not have been any less devastating for the children and teachers of Eastern Kentucky, considering that school was expected to start in about a month. Several schools were affected by the flooding. Some students and staff have taken it upon themselves at the high school to help reignite learning in Eastern Kentucky by hosting a book drive.

The Community Activism class, taught by Mrs. Boss, created the book drive. The class has been collecting books for Letcher County Public Schools over the past few weeks. Our librarian, Mrs. Romine, has a personal connection to the Eastern Kentucky area and Letcher County Schools. Some of her relatives live in the areas affected by the floods, and when asked to explain the devastation that occurred, she said, “You know, it was just like, we’ve seen floods, we’re old enough to have been through some disasters, and it was just many times worse than I had in mind or had even seen on social media.” She also explained that the damage from the floods resulted in the roads being closed and that the fire station itself flooded. This meant that if anyone needed medical assistance, they would have to wait until someone was able to get through the woods with as much equipment as they could carry. This experience was not uncommon for the people of Letcher County after the floods swept away their belongings and sense of security.

Similarly, Letcher County Schools were not spared during the floods. Mrs. Romine explained how all of the books were destroyed and how the library itself was also destroyed. This is where WCHS stepped in to help. Letcher County students are in desperate need of a way to get back into a routine, with school being a top priority. The book drive is the way that we can send support and help to the students, staff, and families in Letcher County. At this time, the Woodford County book drive is no longer accepting donations of books, but direct financial donations are still very much needed and appreciated.