Dedicated To: Expression During a Pandemic

A close look at Dedicated To, a project from our schools’ own Community Activism class.

Poster+advertising+Dedicated+To.+These+can+be+found+all+around+the+school%2C+and+include+a+scannable+QR+code+which+will+take+you+directly+to+the+website.+

Brayden Miller

Poster advertising Dedicated To. These can be found all around the school, and include a scannable QR code which will take you directly to the website.

Dedicated To is a project created by students here at Woodford County High School, with the express intent of showcasing works created by students and members of the community within the county during the COVID-19 pandemic; something which has had major effects on most people and their mentalities. As stated on their website,

“Dedicated To attempts to address that change by inviting members of the community to submit creative works that they felt were significant to their unique journey during this time.”

A bubble of text on the Dedicated To website, describing what inspired the project. (Dedicated To website. )

Spearheading the project are five seniors: Arissa Keith, Maia Smith, Emelia Sprinkle, Bailey Spicer, and Lily Rogers. Each member has an introduction about themselves written on the project website, which can be found here: https://dedicatedto21.wixsite.com/my-site.

In order to learn more about the project and why people should consider submitting their own work, I asked a couple of artists who submitted to Dedicated To about their work and why they chose to submit to it.

‘We Are Not Needed,’ a work submitted to Dedicated To by Tara Rapaport. (Tara Rapaport)

“So the basic premise of it was the inevitable downfall of “civilization” (western society) and how the society that western imperialism and capitalism has created is inherently unsustainable and that it’s eventual destruction via nature is not a dystopian future but rather a welcome rebirth.” said Tara Rapaport (12), who submitted a work titled, ‘We Are Not Needed.’

‘A Brief Inquiry,’ a piece submitted to Dedicated To by a former WCHS student, Jackson Heller. (Jackson Heller)

“I’d say that I really like the idea and basing it around artists who are younger and local just allows people to see some new work. I also submitted my work because ‘hey, why not, it’s a great project and I’d love to be a part of it.” said Jackson Heller, a former WCHS graduate who submitted a work titled, ‘A Brief Inquiry.’

The project is attracting more than just students, but people within the community as well. Anyone who chooses to can submit their work, and I’d strongly encourage anyone to submit. Even if they aren’t sure about it, just go for it! This is a great showcase for artists in the community, to get recognition for their work, and to express some of their emotions during the pandemic. If interested in anything about the project, I encourage you once again to check out their website at https://dedicatedto21.wixsite.com/my-site