Backstage: Broken Queen Tour, Episode 2/ Up-and-coming Show!

Vlog about an inspiring theatrical experience

The Broken Queen in Somerset

First, I hope you enjoyed the second vlog! If you haven’t seen it yet, I encourage you to watch it! Of course, if you haven’t seen the video, you must be wondering what it’s about! To be honest, these experiences are quite hard to describe.

In the last weekend of September, Blackbird Dance Theatre’s “Senior Company” took their second “outreach tour” trip to Somerset, Kentucky. Amanda Balltrip and the Watershed Arts Alliance had contacted Jenny Fitzpatrick, Blackbird’s artistic director, asking us to perform at The Virginia Cinema. The Virginia Cinema is an old movie theatre in Somerset that has been closed for several years. Earlier this year, the demolition process of “The Virginia” interior began, thus starting the renovation process. The Senior Company was then given the opportunity to be a part of the first event held at the venue since its closing in the 90’s. To say we were excited about this would be an understatement!

Not only did we get to perform in this gorgeous, very dusty venue, but we also had the opportunity to host a workshop at a nearby dance studio, “Pep & Pizazz,” under the direction of Britani Shoemaker. Shoemaker and a few of her students came to see the show the night before our class. In the class, students of various ages got to learn a few of the dances from the show. Once they learned the choreography, Jenny was able to step in and implement some storytelling aspects. Seeing how engaged and involved everyone was, again, extraordinary. To me, there’s no other way to describe it. If you were in that room, you could feel the “fire” that waved so viciously off of those artists. That is exactly why I do this. There is nothing more rewarding than knowing I contributed even a second to the inspiration of an audience member. Now, all I can do is hope that one day they will do the same, in one way or another.

New Show?! How Do I Buy Tickets Online?!

If you love all things spooky, then you will love Blackbird’s latest show Robando written, directed, and choreographed by Jenny Fitzpatrick, with an original score by Duane Lundy. Here is a quote from Jenny about what Robando is to us: “With Aztec mythology at its core, Robando is filled with treasure stealing rogues, loads of dancing, Caribbean beats and plenty of mystery. Robando is a Day of the Dead inspired dance theatre piece… Excerpt: ‘your men have stolen my bones and I want them back. They come, they hunt, they conquer and they destroy… There must be justice for those who take what is not theirs…'” Wanting to buy tickets now online? Well, the process is super easy! Follow my step-by-step instructions below to successfully buy your tickets to Robando!

FIRST STEP: In the second paragraph, There is a link attached to “Blackbird Dance Theatre’s” that will take you directly to Blackbird’s website! 

SECOND STEP: Once you are on the website, you will see the poster for the show at the top of the page. Above that, a sentence that reads, “Get your tickets for Robando here!!” should appear emphatically above the image. Once it appears, you will want to click on it!

THIRD STEP: Once you’ve completed the second step, you should be directed to a website called “tickets.vendini.com” where you will see a list of events being held at the Pam Miller Downtown Arts Center. 

FOURTH STEP: You will want to click the “select” button next to “Robando Presented by Blackbird Dance Theatre.” When you do this, you will be directed to a page that shows you dates you might want to come to see the show!

FIFTH STEP: Once you’ve decided which date works best for you, click the “order” button next to that date. You will then be directed to a page where you can choose how many tickets, and what kind of ticket you want (adult, senior, student, and child). Prices will vary depending on which ticket type applies to YOU!  Adult tickets will cost $20, while tickets for seniors, students, and children will cost $15.

SIXTH STEP: Once you’ve selected how many tickets you want, you can proceed by clicking “continue” at the bottom of the screen, taking you to a page where you will enter in your credit card information to complete your purchase.

SEVENTH STEP: After you’ve completed filling out your billing information, you will go to a confirmation page, possibly receiving an email confirming your purchase! If all goes well, you’ve will have successfully ordered your ticket, and can pick it up from the box office at the theatre! I hope to see you there! 🙂

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me by email or Instagram Direct Message:

Email: [email protected]

Instagram Username: chapman_hollin