The Student News Site of Woodford County High School

The Jacket Journal

• November 16Bring in cans for food drive! Deadline is Nov. 20th!

• November 14Auditions for Beauty and the Beast! 3:30 - 5:30pm in room 128! Nov. 16th and 17th

• October 20 Jacket Madness! 6pm WCHS GYM Nov. 17th!

Filed under A & E

Little Box, Big Impact

The donation box itself is located directly behind the New Day Church at 197 South Main in Versailles.

Catie Heerman

Catie Heerman

All big things start off small…

…And it was something as small as a Facebook post to inspire Sherry Williams to create a community Blessing Box. Inspired by a picture of a Blessing Box she saw on Facebook, Williams decided to take action; she and her daughter would make their own community box.

Sherry Williams first placed the Blessings Box out on March 29th, 2017. The box itself, a short wooden cabinet placed in downtown Versailles, directly behind the New Day Church.

The purpose of a Blessings Box is simple: You give what you can, and take what you need. The cabinet is filled with canned and boxed food as well as soap and cleaning supplies; all small things that can help people who do not have access to them or cannot afford them. Everything in the box was donated anonymously by members of the community. This idea works much like a food drive. In addition to donating anonymously, anyone is welcome to take what they need from the box. While the box is downtown in an easily accessible, it is in a relatively secluded area. This makes it easy to take from or give to without difficulty.

Sherry Williams decided to make the box in honor of her father James Coburn. “My daddy was retired Navy and a Veteran of the Vietnam War. Yesterday was National Vietnam War Veteran’s Day so it was fitting that the Blessing Box was started on such an important day. My dad would be proud!”

While the box has only been out for a few weeks, it has already been given to and taken from multiple times. The box is constantly restocked by generous community members.