The Jacket Journal

Used Books For Sale

I'm planning to open a bookstore soon. Read on to hear about it!

Annie Denington, Staff Reporter

Do you think a bookstore would be good for our community?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

My bookstore idea came about because I have a really unique situation where I need to be really careful about choosing where I work, and college might not be the best option for me. This summer when we were in Florida, my mom and I were just floating around in the pool and she said, “I want you to have a future, so how about opening your own bookstore?” At first, I thought, “There’s no way I can do this. It’s crazy. A bookstore won’t make it here.” However, I sent out a survey just to get some thoughts about it. I almost started crying when I looked at the results because out of the 54 that responded, 53 said yes. Not only am I impressed with how many people think this would be a good thing, but I’m also impressed with all the amazing feedback I got.

I asked people for their honest thoughts and ideas because I didn’t want, “Oh, you’re my favorite person, I’ll go to your bookstore no matter what.” I wanted honest ideas. In fact, on one response I got for the question asking: “If you don’t think it would work and why?” one person said this: “Personally, I’d still sell and buy at half-priced if the rates weren’t better.” Some people might think this response was mean but it isn’t, it’s exactly what  I need!

I’m hoping to open my bookstore in May. The bookstore would have wifi, a little coffee shop, places for people to sit and read and/or study if they needed to study, etc. I would have all kinds of books and they would be organized by genre. Within each section, the books would be arranged by the authors’ last name. I would even include sections for graphic novels and comics if need be.

My survey is still open if anyone still wants to contribute. I don’t really have any of the logistical things worked out yet, but I’m currently in the process of making my dream a reality, not just for myself. I want to do this for the community. For each and every one of us.

About the Writer
Annie Denington, Staff Reporter
Annie Denington is a senior this year. She loves reading, writing, horses, Supernatural and hanging out with friends and family. You’re most likely to find Annie curled up with a good book while her Alexa plays softly in the background or watching Supernatural, of course. The two quickest ways to bond with Annie? Just mention...