WCHS Fashionistas

An overview of student and teacher fashion meaning at WCHS…

CJ Jenkins, Staff Reporter

“Wow, their clothes are really nice! Maybe I should start dressing myself up more?” the students of our school have a very unique fashion style that they use to show who they are and to show their side of fashion to their peers. Featured in this article are a few select students from our own student body. There is also a small teacher bonus just to see their fashion and what they think fashion means for students and themselves. The following students were asked a series of 5 questions regarding fashion and here are their responses:

Kiana Jackson

CJ Jenkins
Kiana Jackson (10)

Define fashion: “Expressing yourself through clothes.”

Do you switch up your style and how often? “Yes and no, I don’t have a specific style. I kind of wear a little bit of everything…” She claimed that she switches around from hoodies to sweatpants, even jeans to cute shirts.

Do you care a lot about your style? “I do, because I feel like it’s a way to express myself.”

If you could change something about your style, what would it be? “I would iron my clothes more. I wear stuff in masses sometimes,but I feel like it would look better ironed.”

How do you decide what clothes you’re going to wear? “Some days it depends on my mood. Like ‘ Okay today I feel bright, so I’m gonna wear something bright!’ or just like ‘ Not in a very good mood today, gonna be kind of chilled back today.’ Stuff like that.”

Lauren Newman

CJ Jenkins
Lauren Newman (10)

Define fashion:  “Fashion is something that people like to wake up to and be able to express who they are to everyone around them.”

Do you switch up your style and how often? “Kinda, I can go from jeans and a nice shirt to something casual like sweatpants with hoodies, or just switch them around every once in a while, but for the past couple of years I’ve been going with sweatpants and sweaters and stuff like that.”

Do you care a lot about your style? ” I do but not to the extreme.”

If you could change something about your style, what would it be? ” I would probably have more statement pieces, or even something casual that makes me feel unique.”

How do you decide what clothes you’re going to wear? “What’s comfortable, what I feel like I’ll good in, basically what I just like. Like, if I like a certain band I’ll buy a t-shirt about it.”

Amotri Ellis

CJ Jenkins
Amotri Ellis (10)

Define fashion: “Like, it depends on what your wearing, like if you ain’t wearing nothin’ good, then you ain’t got nothin’.”

Do you switch up your style and how often? “Maybe like every 1, 2, 3 weeks or so.. maybe 2 or 3 weeks I may change somethin up.”

Yeah, I gotta be thuggin’ everyday you know?

— Amotri Ellis

Do you care a lot about your style? ” Yeah, I gotta be thuggin’ every day you know?”

If you could change something about your style, what would it be? “My shoes. Cause like, if your shoes not with it, then your outfit not with it.”

How do you decide what clothes you’re going to wear?: “Well, it depends on how I’m feelin’. Like if I wanna wear red on Tuesday, then I’ll wear red on Tuesday, and if I wanna wear gold on Friday, then I’ll wear it on Friday.”

Matthew Inman

CJ Jenkins
Matthew Inman (10)

Define fashion: “Fashion, to me, is more than just clothes; your showing yourself, emotion. If you wanna look good, you look good, if you don’t wanna look, good you don’t look good, etc.”

Do you switch up your style and how often? “Not really, I like wearing kind of the same stuff, I think it looks good to me. I don’t like change that much unless it needs to happen. I like stuff like Hype Beasts clothes, stuff with Japanese writing on it or roses. Roses are the flower of life.”

Do you care a lot about your style?  “Yeah I care a lot about my clothes. I don’t wanna come to school with..burn holes in my clothes. I wanna try to look good. I like having myself, hygiene wise self, looking good. I don’t wanna look like a..slug.”

Probably a lot more stuff with Japanese writing…Hype Beasts.

— Matthew Inman

If you could change something about your style, what would it be? ” Probably a lot more stuff with Japanese writing…Hype Beasts.”

How do you decide what clothes you’re going to wear?: “Mood, and whatever goes together. Like, pink with black, or white with black, or you know khaki’s with…another color.”

William Newcomb

CJ Jenkins
William Newcomb (10)

Define fashion: “Fashion is a way to express yourself throughout your clothing.”

Do you switch up your style and how often? “I don’t really switch up my style that much, but I’ll wear something dependent on what my mood is. Like if I’m lit, I’ll wear lit stuff, but if I’m like in a ‘don’t care’ mood, I’ll just wear something raggedy, like I just don’t look prepared.

Do you care a lot about your style?: “Not really, except the fact of where they come from, but other than that not really, I mean clothes are clothes.”

If you could change something about your style, what would it be? “Uhm…Nothing. I just wear anything and everything because I know I look good in everything, I’m just one of those types of people that know no matter what I put on it always looks good, so at the end of the day, nothing.”

How do you decide what clothes you’re going to wear?: “Like I said in the other question, I just wake up and it depends on what mood I’m in depends on what I wear.”

Ms. York

CJ Jenkins
April York, WCHS Teacher

Define fashion: “I think fashion is whatever anybody makes it. It can also express what kind of mood somebody is in. I also feel like it is a form of art, not saying that my clothes are art, clothes are just the things that you wear.” She was asked that, since she always wears colorful and bright clothes, is she always happy? Her response was, ” The circumstances that you put yourself into can change your whole attitude. So I’m not saying that I’m always happy, I just wear colorful and bright clothes, to just try and ‘fake it till you make it’ and maybe that’ll help me feel happy.”

Do you switch up your style and how often? ” I don’t really switch up my style on purpose, I’m not a very consistent person with my outfits, but I do have some goofy and nutty outfits. So I can be a goofy and nutty person, but I can also be a very straight edge, follow all the rules person.”

Do you care a lot about your style?: “I don’t know if I care a lot about my clothes, but I do care about the way that I present myself to the students. I don’t really care what other people think of me, but I feel like if I can create a happy environment for people, then that’s important. Though, I just really want our youth to realize to just be you, be whoever you are.

If you could change something about your style, what would it be?: ” I don’t know if I would change anything, maybe to make dresses more comfortable.”

How do you decide what clothes you’re going to wear?: “There’s a variety of things. I have a certain pair of socks dependent if I’m doing a testing day, or if I’m just teaching. I also like to wear comfortable shoes because I know I’ll be walking around all day, even dependent on my mood, and literally it is just what is clean.”

Mr. Graves

CJ Jenkins
David Graves, WCHS Teacher

Define fashion: ” Whatever happens to be popular at the time.”

Do you switch up your style and how often? “I switch my outfits from between khakis and a button-down shirt at school to camouflage on the weekends.”

Do you care a lot about your style? “Not really.”

If you could change something about your style, what would it be? “To be honest, I would like to be able to afford some better stuff like suits, or ties.”

How do you decide what clothes you’re going to wear? ” I line them up on Sundays, and take them off throughout the week as I go.”

You can see there is a lot of unique styles, and some students may have similarities or differences to their fashion sense. Fashion could mean something different to everyone, or some people may just want to be comfortable and may not care exactly what they wear all the time. Most of the people chosen said that their outfits depend on their mood when they decide what to wear. In general, student fashion is something interesting to look into and see how it affects different people’s visions of the way they look and how they feel about it.

Do you think fashion makes a big impact on a persons emotion?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...