Looking Back

The history of Versailles in pictures

Anemone Rishel, Staff Reporter

Versailles Kentucky is home to many people and many of them attend Woodford County High School, but what do we really know about this small town? We were founded in 1792 and are most known for our horse farms. This is a common fact, but have you ever looked back and seen our past or what we might have looked like?

The Versailles High School

Unknown
This picture depicts the Versailles High School in 1937. The high school was built in 1927 and demolished only a few months ago.
In the picture we see a newly built school, a rolling lawn, and well trimmed shrubbery; its not quite the same today. This photo was found in the book,  Woodford County, Kentucky: The First Two Hundred Years.

Anemone Rishel
Today the Versailles High School no longer stands. New telephone poles have been put up and a intersection built. The school was demolished after it was unused and fell into disrepair. Also, so much time has passed that adult trees have grown up on the surrounding property.

The Lyric Theater, W.S. Taylor’s store, and The J.S. Minary Hardware Store

Anemone Rishel
This photo was featured in the book Woodford County, Kentucky: The First Two Hundred Years. The original photographer is unknown. The photo was taken in 1914 during mid-winter when the brick streets were covered in cinders to keep horses and early cars from sliding. (Left to right) It depicts what was the the Lyric Theater, W.S. Taylor’s store, and the J.S. Minary hardware store.

Anemone Rishel
Now the the Lyric Theater, W.S. Taylor’s store, and the J.S. Minary Hardware store have become new establishments. The Lyric Theater is being renovated, the W.S. Taylor’s store’s outcome is unknown, and the J.S. Minary hardware store has become a Pizza Hut. All of these buildings upper floors that are suspected to be apartments or owned by the businesses below them.

The Versailles Market

Unkown
This picture taken by a unknown source shows the Versailles Market which is now known as the Amsden. The Amsden building has been through a variety of businesses. The original property was the Watkin’s Tavern which burned in 1886; the building we see today was built in 1890. From 1890 to 1931 the building was a bank but when it closed the building was constantly going through businesses. One of these businesses was the Versailles Market.

Anemone Rishel
This image is of the current Amsden building that has become a popular gathering place to have coffee. The Amsden is no longer a bank or market place and looks as if it won’t be changing for a while. The building was taken up by a couple that put their hearts into the 100 year old building and renovated it in 2016, which took 3 moths during the warm summer. What we see now if the after effect of their hard work–a coffee shop and small business where all are welcome.

Woodford County Courthouse 

Unkown
This is the 1880 Woodford County courthouse. This historical Woodford county building has been remodeled several times since its original log building made in 1790. Its original builder was Jesse Graddy. The second building was built by James and Henry Tompkins in 1794 made of stone. Then, once again, in 1812-13 the building was rebuilt, and in 1846 the clock tower was added. Additional renovations were made until we were able to accomplish the building shown in the photo.

Anemone Rishel
This is the Woodford County Court House we all recognize. It was built in 1970 after a fire burned the previous building in 1965. The makers were the Gault Brothers of Lexington.

The Old Taylor’s Distillery 

Unkown
This is one of the lesser known buildings of Versailles, but no less historic. This Photo depicts the Old Taylor Distillery’s main office. This image was taken in 1919. The distillery was opened in 1887. It was the first distillery in America to be built from the ground up as a showplace. Unfortunately the distillery was forced shut down and stop production 1917. This photo was taken from the book, “Woodford County, Kentucky: The First Two Hundred Years.

Anemone Rishel
Currently the once Old Taylor’s Distillery is being renovated to become the Castle and Key Distillery. The building had stood lonely since 1970 when it was abandoned and mother nature began to grow up around it. The 113 acre piece of land with more than 20 buildings has recently begun to see some renovation as Castle and Key has come in to help bring the land back into production.

Was this informative?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
;