Cupcakes at Kiddie Cook Camp

FCCLA members teach elementary school children to follow a recipe

Sophia McKee, Staff Reporter

On Saturday, April 21, the Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) club at WCHS took on their second Kiddie Cook Camp of the year. Kiddie Cook Camp allows children grades 1-5 to spend a few hours learning how to read and follow a recipe, which they then get to make and take home to their families. On Saturday, all of the kids got to bake cupcakes, make icing, and then color and decorate their cupcakes as a team. After all of the cupcakes had been decorated, the kids voted on which group’s theme looked the best. Kitchen 4 won with their rainbow cupcakes. The kids were all smiles with their treats!

• Chandler McFarland (11) watching the progress of unicorn galaxy themed cupcakes.

• Olivia Back (12) working with her kitchen group to make a colorful tree.

• Hannah Combs (10) and her kitchen group with their rainbow themed cupcakes.

• Hannah Combs (10) working hard with her group to decorate cupcakes.

• Kids lining up for snacks while the cupcakes bake.

• Riley Jerdon (10) and her group smiling around their flower cupcakes.

FCCLA does many amazing things for the community, and provides lots of volunteer opportunities to students. At every meeting, volunteer work is advertised to all of the members. Kiddie Cook Camp is a new addition to what FCCLA does, and this is the second year it has been in place. FCCLA sponsors Ms. Moffett, Mrs. Raterman, and Ms. Coyle hope to expand the camp to three times a year. When asked about Kiddie Cook Camp, Vice President of Public Relations Kayla Maynard, said, “I love helping the kids at Kiddie Cook Camp! They’re all so sweet and funny to be around. I’m glad we keep doing it.” Chandler McFarland (11) also said, “The kids are interesting talk to. They always say exactly what’s on their mind, which makes for an entertaining few hours.”