The Jacket Journal

The Need for New Tennis Courts

The Woodford County tennis courts, and why they need to change

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Need for New Tennis Courts

One of the cracks on the tennis courts.

One of the cracks on the tennis courts.

Pinkston

One of the cracks on the tennis courts.

Pinkston

Pinkston

One of the cracks on the tennis courts.

Claire Pinkston, Staff Reporter

The public tennis courts out at Falling Springs are used by people young and old, from recreational leagues to matches against friends to the beginner who just wants to give tennis a try. Most importantly, they are used as Woodford County High School’s home courts for the tennis season. While the courts have been readily relied on for the past decades, lately they have not been up to par. Woodford County needs new tennis courts, and the money to do so.

Cracks

In the past couple of years, several problems have been identified with the current courts. Cracks the size of tennis balls litter the courts–cracks large enough that someone could trip and fall over while running. An easy fix you might say? Well, it’s more complicated than you’d think. About 4 years ago, the cracks were “patched up,” covered so the courts would be safer. Today, new cracks have opened where the old ones were and in other places on the courts, and the patches have mostly turned into “dead spots” that makes shots fall flat, creating frustrating points during a match. After it rains, the courts often start to erode, laying a thin layer of sand all over parts of the courts.

Lighting

Another necessity for the courts are lights. Every single high school court has lights, in case matches run into the night… except for Woodford County. This has proved difficult for some matches, especially rec matches in the fall that often run into the night because of the time change. In times past, players have had to play under the headlights of cars in order to finish their last set. Lights exist that will only stay on for 20-30 minutes at a time at the press of a button, and if we were to get lights, this would be the option because those who want to play into the night will have the ability to, and if a person was to leave and forget, power would not be wasted.

Looking to the Future

With the new high school projected to be completed by the 2020s, speculation has come about building new high school courts there. This would be a great idea because we would get the new courts, and they would be near the schools, so transportation would be easier for home matches. It would be easier to get funding, because part of the money being spent on the high school could go to the courts as well, considering that refurbishing tennis courts is rather pricey.

We need a refurbishment of the tennis courts, one that is not temporary, but permanent, one that ensures the safety of the people and encourages tennis to future generations.”

However, I do not believe that we should ignore the Falling Springs courts entirely. With the new high school still on the drawing board, the Falling Springs courts will still be the home of the WCHS tennis team for a few seasons. Along with that, the new tennis courts at the high school would not likely be the place where recreational teams and other people would go to play, as it would not be in an area that is as public, and would be more out of their way. With the courts falling into disrepair, to the point where they are messing with matches and even becoming dangerous to the players themselves, this issue should not be overlooked. We need a refurbishment of the tennis courts, one that is not temporary, but permanent, one that ensures the safety of the people and encourages tennis to future generations.

About the Writer
Claire Pinkston, Staff Reporter

Claire Pinkston is a freshman at Woodford County High School. She has played tennis and been on the Academic Team for five years, and enjoys doing both....