MatJackets Take On State

A recap of the KHSSA state wrestling championships

photo by: Matt Goins

Tylan Tucker emotional after winning 126 weight class at State.

1524229006:36

36

Tanyea Ramirez and MaQuoia Bernabe

• 106 weight class 1st Place – Samuel Grandstaff of Conner 2nd Place – Jayssen Hanson of St. Xavier 3rd Place – Cole Thomas of Ryle 4th Place – Gage Fowler of Christian County 5th Place – Gavin Andreoni of Woodford County 6th Place – Jacob Cain of Johnson Central 7th Place – Dylan Walls of Caldwell County 8th Place – Devon Herron of North Hardin

• 113 weight class 1st Place – Thomas Deck of Madison Central 2nd Place – Brendan Pye of Scott 3rd Place – Brandon Miller of Taylor County 4th Place – Shay Horton of Ryle 5th Place – Adam Bender of Woodford County 6th Place – Thomas Hoppes of LaRue County 7th Place – Dalton Lawson of Johnson Central 8th Place – Joseph Morgan of Apollo

• 120 weight class 1st Place – Cagen Wallace of Wayne County 2nd Place – Gabe Adams of Union County 3rd Place – Brad Miller of Taylor County 4th Place – Carson Deckard of Oldham County 5th Place – Isaac Pledger of St. Xavier 6th Place – Dylan Preston of Woodford County 7th Place – Jacob Grandstaff of Conner 8th Place – Migdoel Ocasio of Simon Kenton

• 126 weight class 1st Place – Tylan Tucker of Woodford County 2nd Place – Sam Bacon of Union County 3rd Place – Blake Evans of Pleasure Ridge Park 4th Place – Jake Insko of Apollo 5th Place – Landon Lenhart of Trinity (Louisville) 6th Place – Seth Lutes of Scott 7th Place – Dillion Burton of Newport 8th Place – Sheridan Willoughby of Bourbon County

• 132 weight clas 1st Place – Ryan Moore of Walton-Verona 2nd Place – Thomas Ketchen-Carter of Campbell County 3rd Place – Gentry Deck of Madison Central 4th Place – Jakerion Merritt of Christian County 5th Place – Payne Carr of Union County 6th Place – Nathaniel Wheeler of St. Xavier 7th Place – Jordan Bates of Boyle County 8th Place – Daylon Stafford of Sheldon Clark

• 138 weight class 1st Place – Saul Ervin of Union County 2nd Place – Chase Yost of Woodford County 3rd Place – Blake Roth of Walton-Verona 4th Place – Mannie Murrer of Covington Catholic 5th Place – Noah Davis of LaRue County 6th Place – Anthony Pierce of South Oldham 7th Place – Alejandro Mejia of Simon Kenton 8th Place – Will Keeney of Madison Central

• 145 weight class 1st Place – Trent Johnson of John Hardin 2nd Place – Alex Rivera of Moore 3rd Place – Nathaniel Lawrence of Franklin County 4th Place – Ryan Mcmanus of Madison Central 5th Place – Clayton Fitzhugh of St. Xavier 6th Place – Jakob Mcclintic of Oldham County 7th Place – Ronan Wyatt of Woodford County 8th Place – Zach Holub of Cooper

• 152 weight class 1st Place – Zane Brown of Male 2nd Place – Drevon Jones of Newport 3rd Place – Keaon Taylor of Doss 4th Place – Wyatt Andreoni of Woodford County 5th Place – Kevin Vazquez of Lafayette 6th Place – Blake Gamble of Johnson Central 7th Place – Dalton Bell of LaRue County 8th Place – Chase Fink of Anderson County

Mark Mahan
  • 160 weight class 1st Place – Derrick Smallwood of John Hardin 2nd Place – Konner Kraeszig of St. Xavier 3rd Place – Colin Stevens of Trigg County 4th Place – Max Powell of Fairdale 5th Place – Lucas Carrillo of Oldham County 6th Place – Clayton Boyd of Conner 7th Place – Tristin Garcia of Male 8th Place – Brent Burke of Sheldon Clark

Mark Mahan
  • 170 weight class 1st Place – Mason Smith of Walton-Verona 2nd Place – Micah Ervin of Union County 3rd Place – Cameron Ward of St. Xavier 4th Place – Jacob Bratcher of DuPont Manual 5th Place – Jared Kelsay of Scott 6th Place – Michael Walker of Whitley County 7th Place – John Connor (JC) Diehl of West Jessamine 8th Place – Isaiah Hale of Oldham County

Mark Mahan
  • 182 weight class 1st Place – Dylan Gray of Caldwell County 2nd Place – Diion Leavell of Christian County 3rd Place – Don Harris of Danville 4th Place – Chase Blanton of Harrison County 5th Place – Zach Chandler of Male 6th Place – Dakota Santiago of Taylor County 7th Place – Branson Smith of Sheldon Clark 8th Place – Chris Dunagan of Wayne County

• 195 weight class 1st Place – Matthias Ervin of Union County 2nd Place – Benjamin Deprest of St. Xavier 3rd Place – Kadin Kulmer of Trinity (Louisville) 4th Place – Matthew Horn of Johnson Central 5th Place – Niko Bussell of Christian County 6th Place – Logan Deasel of McCracken County 7th Place – Zade Hawkins of Madison Central 8th Place – Andrew Vazquez of Oldham County

• 220 weight class 1st Place – Damoreon Travis of Moore 2nd Place – Bryan Pratt of Meade County 3rd Place – Alex Horn of Johnson Central 4th Place – Ray karl Irving of Henry Clay 5th Place – Ross Hicks of Union County 6th Place – Nathan Prosser of McCreary Central 7th Place – Daniel Kimbell of Oldham County 8th Place – Patrick Dumire of Valley

• 285 weight class 1st Place – Byron Pierce of Johnson Central 2nd Place – Kairus Washington of Dixie Heights 3rd Place – Brandyn Robertson of Central 4th Place – Christian Denney of Wayne County 5th Place – Jalen Benson of Franklin County 6th Place – Alex Roberts of Oldham County 7th Place – Noah Hunter of Scott 8th Place – Stephen Herron of Trinity (Louisville)

The KHSSA wrestling championships were held on February 16 through the 17 at the Alltech Arena. The state championships is a two-day tournament where wrestlers from across the state will compete to see who will take the state title home. The two day tournament finished off with Union County taking the team state title for the third year in a row with 186 points,  St. Xavier came in as runner up with 163 points, and Woodford took 3rd place at the state tournament with 155 points.

MatJackets pose with their third-place trophy

Woodford had 12 wrestlers qualify for the state tournament, and came out with two wrestlers who finished top two in their weight class and five others who placed on the podium top 8.

• Senior Tylan Tucker took first place at the weight class 126 beating Union County’s Sam Bacon with a decision of 6-4.  This is Tylan’s first high school state title but he has placed at the state tournament before.
  • Sophomore Chase Yost was runner up at the 138 weight class losing to Union County’s senior Saul Ervin. Ervin beat Yost with a decision of 9-3.  Yost won state as an 8th grader in the high school division and also, like Tucker, has placed before in the KHSSA state tournament.
  • Junior Wyatt Andreoni placed 4th at the 152 weight class and 8th grader Gavin Andreoni took 5th at the 106 weight class.
  • Senior Adam Bender placed 5th at the 113 weight class.
  • Freshman Dylan Preston placed 6th at the 120 weight class followed by Junior Ronan Wyatt who took 7th at the 145-pound weight class.
  • Woodford had five other wrestlers who qualified for the state tournament but did not place. Their names follow here: Tony Ornelas (9),  Triston Brooks (10),  CJ Cardwell (11),  Juan Chavez (11), and Jack Hill (12). These wrestlers placed top four in their region but fell short at state.

Near the end of the tournament, KHSSA honored and held an award ceremony for the Woodford wrestling team of 1993. Some students might even recognize members of the team as some of Woodford’s own, such as teacher David Graves and Joe Carr Jr.

Tanyea Ramirez
The 1993 MatJackets being honored

Union County’s wrestling team broke a record this year becoming the second team to reach the achievement of winning a state title three years in a row. And Woodford being the first to in 1972. Now that state has concluded, the wrestling season is officially over for the  MatJackets. They finished the season strong and will hopefully have a successful season next year in November.

Congratulations MatJackets!