The Brotherhood of the Brain

The academic team is jumping in to their year-long season

Emily Brookfield, Staff Reporter and Editor

The Woodford County Academic Team has joined together to begin another season. Each Saturday, they go to a meet at a different school where they compete in groups of four. This year the academic team will compete across the Eastern United States, from Chicago to Birmingham, to hone their craft. Everywhere they go, they are asked various questions about literature, fine arts, science, and history. Questions can come from just about any subject, so, to do well, the team practices for an hour every day after school. Although nationally ranked and very competitive, the academic team has just as much fun as any sports team, and they grow unquestionable bonds throughout their hard work and travels.

The A Team, Wesley Forte (12), Seth Allen (12), Sarah Potts (12), and Connor Akers (11), after their first win as a team in Nashville at the Battle Ground Invitational.
Two Junior Varsity Members of the Academic Team, Josh Zeefe (9) and Casey Jones (9), discussing a bonus.
Sarah Karbach (11) waiting patiently to buzz in.
James Batts (12) keeping score for the match.
Caleb May (9), Keaton Martin (9), Alfie Painter practicing with Olivia Rayborn (10) , Sarah Karbach, and J.C. Dyer for their upcoming meet.

The academic team has achieved many things in the past few months, such as 4th place in the annual Hoover High School they go to in Birmingham, Alabama and 1st place at the Battle Ground Academy meet in Nashville, Tennessee. If you are interested in joining the team, you can come to any practice; the teem meets after school on most days for an hour. Anyone has the potential to hone their craft and to get better at answering questions. The team allows for everyone and anyone to develop their minds while having fun.