March On!

A recap of the 2017 WCHS Marching Band season

March+On%21

Noah Reynolds, Staff Reporter

Gather your instruments and start a formation, because the WCHS Marching Band is rocking the stage. Our Marching Band’s Season has been amazing. Our talented musicians have played the show “Secrets of the Woods” at 8 competitions this year. They kicked off September 9th at Bourbon County, stormed Lafayette Invitational on September 16th, dropped jaws at Pleasure Ridge Park on September 23rd, performed at Madison Central on October 7th, stood tall at Louisville Male High School on October 14th, dominated at Madison Southern High School for the KMEA 4A Regionals, progressed at South Oldham on October 28th for the KMEA 4A Semifinals, and finally metaphorically smoked it when they placed 5th of 22 bands in the MSBA 3A Championship at Kings, Ohio on November 4th.

With their season now over, some Seniors of our Marching Band have a few final thoughts to leave with their represented school and fellow WCHS students and musicians.

“For my marching band family, thank you for making my senior year fantastic. Keep making WCHS marching band history, and I wish you the best! I’ll come and visit often. To those who are not currently playing an instrument, I encourage you to at least try. Try to learn an instrument. If you feel like quitting, keep pushing; you might be surprised with the results. To those who are playing an instrument, I’m so happy for you! Please don’t stop, even if you feel like quitting. If you get frustrated with a passage, work on it. Slowly. Also, please keep playing for the rest of your life. There are many opportunities to keep playing through college and adult life. Look for them!”

Hannah Iglehart, Senior of WCHS 2017-2018

“Don’t underestimate the importance of the simple things. Keep practicing and make a routine for yourself.”

Sean Dunn, Senior of WCHS 2017-2018

“Don’t give up; practice when you can and listen to your instructors and directors. Also, listen to your section leaders and other people who have experience. Always do your best and always show up for practice, preferably early.”

Renee Murphy, Senior of WCHS 2017-2018

From their smallest performance to biggest competition, the WCHS Marching Band has made us proud, and we thank our hard-working Seniors!