An Interview With Mr. Nelson

Mr. Nelson who became a teacher at WCHS this year, was also a student teacher last year. He substituted after student teaching as well. This interview is mainly about his progression into becoming a teacher, and what new hardships come along with it.

Here are 7 questions that outline his experience:

1. Where did you go to school?

Mr. Nelson went to high school at Tates Creek and eventually went to the UK to get his undergrad. After obtaining his undergrad he went to the University of the Cumberlands for his master’s degree.

2. Did you student teach at other schools also, or just Woodford?

Before Covid-19 hit, Mr. Nelson student taught at Carter G Woodson Academy which is located at Fredrick Douglass Highschool. After Covid-19 he moved on to Woodford.

3. How long were you a student teacher?

He student taught at Carter G for a spring semester, and at Woodford for a fall semester. For a total of 2 semesters.

4. How has student teaching helped you to prepare for teaching this year?

Mr. Nelson explains,” There’s only so much a college professor can teach, I learned twice as much in actual situations, and learned how to interact.” Mr. Nelson also said being able to student teach in a fall semester was more helpful since the information was just as fresh to him as other teachers. He got to learn names, and experience new people first hand like other teachers.

5. What was the transition like between student teaching and teaching?

According to Mr. Nelson, the transition was very sudden but some factors made it easier. Such as being able to substitute for the 2022 spring semester which allowed him to get teaching experience on his own.

6. How did you transition to teaching in only a few months?

The transition being so quick was difficult since there was a lot to balance and understand. He has his personal life, he is still in grad school working for a higher degree, and now on top of that is the responsibility of a teacher. Most of the responsibilities require good time management to accomplish.

7. What do you like about Woodford so far?

The staff and students are his favorite part of Woodford, and also having under 30 students to a class. Under 30 just makes it easier and less chaotic.

A quote from a student of Mr. Nelson:

Jayden Oakley, 9: “Mr. Nelson is one of those crazy teachers who is sometimes more chaotic than a class of 30 freshmen. Even though he is crazy, he is very good at his job and makes math make sense a lot. He also had a bowl cut in middle school (I wish I was joking)”

Thanks for deciding to teach at Woodford County Mr. Nelson. I know our school is just absolutely amazing (sarcasm).