Flashback to “Yesterday”

The latest news on the most recent movies about old stars and history-making bands!

Emma Duggan, Staff Reporter

When going to the movies have you ever thought of experiencing the life of Queen, Elton John, and the world without the Beatles? While interviewing students I learned how important these bands and singers truly are to society.  In the movies Yesterday, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Rocketman we see how the bands lived their lives and what a world without them would be like.

Mackenzie Gregory
Abigail Johnson (11), Jill Mann (9), Madeline Gregory (12) and Emma Duggan (9) excited to watch Yesterday this past summer.

Yesterday

The movie Yesterday is based upon a world in which the Beatles did not exist.  The main character Jack Malik (played by Himesh Patel) goes on a tour while playing Beatles music and calling it his own.  During the movie, we can see other things, as well as The Beatles, have also “disappeared” throughout the movie.  I interviewed Madeline Gregory (12) to see what her input was on the movie.  When I asked what she took from the movie she responded with, “The world would suck without the Beatles, I took that from the movie,” and, “if there was no Beatles there would be no good music because the Beatles created good music.”  However, Yesterday’s ratings are fairly low. Rotten Tomatoes only gave them a 63%  and the majority of critics say that there was no mystery as to why the Beatles all of a sudden were forgotten.

Bohemian Rhapsody

The movie Bohemian Rhapsody is about the life and journey of Queen and their music along the way.  We see in the movie Queen’s struggles along the road as they become the famous group we know of today.  I interviewed Jeri Ireland (9) over the movie itself to see what she thought of the casting and movie.  When asking her I asked her if the movie had gotten her more interested in Queen’s music and Ireland said, “I saw how it was created and the story behind the music so I guess it kind of piqued my interest because I never really listened to it before the movie.” Bohemian Rhapsody’s ratings are around the same as Yesterday; Rotten Tomatoes also gave them a 61% for the 2018 film.  Critics mainly argue that the movie doesn’t understand Freddie Mercury’s story.

Emma Duggan
Jeri Ireland (9)

Rocketman

The movie Rocketman is based centrally on Elton John’s journey throughout his music career. The movie shows us when he collaborates with singer-songwriter Bernie Taupin and even when he changes his name from Reginald Dwight to who we know now as Elton John.   I interviewed Jeri Ireland (9) about how she viewed the movie and what she personally thought of the movie. When I asked if she viewed Elton in a new way as a person/singer she said, “Yes, I didn’t know anything about his drug use or anything about his personal life.  Like, I didn’t know Elton John wasn’t his real name and I really didn’t know anything.”  Rocketman was a whole other story when it came to their ratings; Rocketman received 89% from Rotten Tomatoes.  The main criticism of Rocketman was that the audience never quite saw Elton John showing happy and joyous emotions.

As you can see these movies are a much watch if you are a fan of Queen, The Beatles, and Elton John.  If you enjoy the movies and music then I recommend going to see these movies!