A Local Gem for Pet-Loving Hearts

Why the Woodford County Humane Society is the best place to look for your next furry friend!

Mckenzie Snellgrove

This is Mckenzie Snellgrove’s dog, Anna. Anna is full of energy, crazy, and strong. She loves to run around with her ball and play with her family.

Kristen Bailey, Staff Reporter

Are you looking for a cat or dog to join your family? If so, Woodford County Humane Society is the perfect place to go. They have an array of pets so that you can find one suitable for your family’s specific needs. Every pet has a unique personality, and the humane society allows you to get to know the pet before you bring him or her home.

While some people may find it easier to shop for a pet using a breeder, opting to adopt is a better choice. Many breeders are prone to mistreating their pets. Although it is sad to think of animals being mistreated and your first instinct may be to help them, spending your money to buy a pet from a breeder is only supporting their company and what they stand for. Adopting pets from your local animal shelter is a much better choice as you are supporting a non-profit organization that does not mistreat the animals in their care.

• These are Megan Bricker’s cats, Whisper and Emery. They are both over a year old, but Emery is three months older than Whisper.

• This is Marie Hite’s dog, Shorty. Shorty is twelve years old, but still acts like a puppy.

• This is Lauren Young’s cat, Major Payne. Major Payne is described as the sweetest cat ever and he always wants attention.

• This is Joshua Zeefe’s dog. His dog is 9 months old and loves to dig and lay around.

• This is Mckenzie Snellgrove’s dog, Anna. Anna is full of energy, crazy, and strong. She loves to run around with her ball and play with her family.

Rescue pets are pets that have been taken from a dangerous situation or a family that could no longer provide for them. For example, pets may be taken from families that hoard pets and don’t give them enough food and water for them to survive. Adopting a rescue pet is beneficial because it gives the pet a chance of life that they might not have had without you adopting them.

The Woodford Humane Society is a great environment to adopt a pet. The Humane Society workers and volunteers make sure that every pet has everything they need. The pets all have food to meet their dietary needs, water to drink, toys to play with and a towel or small blanket to sleep on. Additionally, the workers are very kind with a huge heart for pets.

Although all of their basic needs are met, pets need more human interaction than they can get at a humane society. The workers do everything they can for the pets, but they can’t play with them as much as the animals would like due to the sheer amount of dogs and cats at the shelter. Even if you cannot adopt one of these sweet pets, I recommend stopping by to spend time with them.

• This is Pearl. Pearl is a Calico cat who is a talker.

• This is Flicka. Flicka is a black and white cat who is loving and vocal.

• This is Smudge. Smudge is a grey and white cat who is bashful and calm.

• This is Beauty. Beauty is a bonded pair with Percy. Beauty is shy and loving, like Percy.

• This is Percy. Percy is a black cat that is a bonded pair with Beauty. Percy is shy and loving, like Beauty.

• This is Raspberry. Raspberry is a Torbie cat who gets along with other cats. She is as sweet as can be.

Pets from the Woodford Humane Society fit in well with so many families! The photos featured in the first gallery above are pets of students at WCHS that they adopted from the Woodford Humane Society.

The photos within the second two galleries were all taken from the Woodford Humane Society. If you have your heart set on adopting one of these pets, act quickly. Someone can swoop in at any time and adopt the one you were looking for, as they do not allow people to place holds on the animals.

• This is July. July is a terrier mix who is kindhearted and loyal.

• This is Stanley. Stanley is a dachshund who is shy and loves treats.

• This is Pepper. Pepper is a Terrier mix who is attentive and a sweetheart.

• This is Toby. Toby is a Pit Bull Terrier mix, who is tough and engaging.

• This is Shelley. Shelley is a boxer/pit bull mix that is loyal and focused.