Planting, Growing, and Selling: A Community’s Hidden Gem

The greenhouse at WCHS is open for business until May 9th!

Tanyea Ramirez.

Inside the greenhouse at WCHS.

Tanyea Ramirez, Staff Reporter

A greenhouse is a structure that is usually transparent and typically hold plants that need to be grown in a controlled climate. Greenhouses can come in many shapes, colors, and sizes.

On Saturday, April 27th, the greenhouse at WCHS opened and its products became available to students and the community. What the opening of the greenhouse means for the community is that they will now begin the sale of plants grown in the greenhouse! The greenhouse is located at 180 Frankfort Street (WCHS) in the back near the track. The greenhouse sells a variety of plants including flowers, vegetables, and some berries.

The greenhouse is run by Ms. Probst and her Greenhouse class. The plants are what her class maintains and works on growing that year in order to be sold to the community. How they choose what plants that are to be sold is by what the community typically demands. In short, if you want it, they have it!

Date

Time

Tuesday-Friday

2:00 PM- 4:30 PM

Saturday

9:30 AM- 1:00 PM

Monday/Saturday

Closed

Also, did you know that Kentucky alone is home to around 76,500 farms? Agriculture in the State of Kentucky and in Woodford County is very important. In the state of Kentucky, we collect 45.6 billion dollars alone for the economy due to agriculture, and in Woodford county, we rank 3rd for top equine counties.

• Greenhouse information banner. Photo by Tanyea Ramirez.

• Brightly-colored plants hanging in the greenhouse. Photo by Tanyea Ramirez.

• A green and beautiful plant waiting to be sold. Photo by Tanyea Ramirez.

• A fern plant hangs by the brightly colored ones. Photo by Tanyea Ramirez.

• A wide selection of plants that were grown by the greenhouse class. Photo by Tanyea Ramirez.

Check out the greenhouse and browse their amazing selection of plants while supplies last!