A Breakdown of the Best Kentucky Basketball Players of All Time

My opinion on some of the best UK Wildcats of all time

Kevin York, Staff Reporter

These players have all played in the NBA, G League, or some kind of professional league and have played for Kentucky for at least 1 year and have accomplished great things for Kentucky Basketball franchise like championships, records, etc. Most of these players were coached by coach Calipari. Some Kentucky players may be felt left out but remember there is no forgetting others greatness.

“I can’t hide you. There’s no hiding at Kentucky.”
― John Calipari, Players First: Success from the Inside Out

• Position: Center Height: 7’0 About: I think Karl Anthony Towns is one of the best college players of all time because he and Booker carried their team to a 31-1 record. Karl Towns was drafted 1st in the 2015 NBA draft and averaged 2.3 blocks per game, 6.7 rebounds per game and 10.3 points per game.

• Position: Shooting Guard Height: 6´6 About: Devin Booker also went 38-1 with Karl Anthony Towns. Devin Booker was one of the greatest 3-point shooters on Kentucky in my opinion. He made 1.5 3 pointers per game with Kentucky and only played 38 games. He was drafted round 1 and pick 13 in the NBA draft. In the NBA, Booker became the youngest player ever to score over 60 points in a game and he got 70 in his rookie year–that’s nuts.

• Position: Power Forward Height: 6´10 About: Anthony Davis was one of the best UK players ever because he was not much of a offensive player he was more of a defensive player and as they say “Defense wins championships¨ Anthony davis won the national championship his Freshman season and won the most outstanding player of the NCAA tournament. He led the NCAA east side of shot blocking. He was also the first pick in the NBA 2012 draft.

• Position: Shooting Guard Height: 6´4 About: Jamal Murray was known for his shooting, and he also played with Tyler Ulis. His nickname is the “Blue Arrow” because he played for Kentucky and whenever he would make a 3 he would act like he was shooting a bow and arrow. He also averaged 18.6 points per game for Kentucky.

• Position: Small Forward Height: 6´9 About: Prince is here because of not what he did in the NBA but what he did for Kentucky. He was known for his lock down defense and his 3 point shooting. In Rupp Arena he made 5 three pointers in a row and 1 from nearly half court! Prince was drafted 23rd in the first round of the NBA draft, and he was a great NBA player.

• Position: Point Guard Height: 6’6 About: Aaron Harrison is on this list because he was one of the clutchest players on Kentucky and is known for hitting the 3 against Michigan for the win in March Madness to go to the Final Four. Some say he hit 3 of the 10 clutchest shots in UK history in one tournament. He also averaged 13.7 points per game in Kentucky.

• Position: Power Forward Height: 6’9 Julius Randle is known (like Cousins and Davis are) for doing the dirty work and rebounding the ball. He is also known for his dunking, defense, mid range and his athleticism for a big man. He averaged 15 points for Kentucky and 10.5 rebounds per game which means he averaged a double- double in college. He was drafted in the first round and was the 7th pick and was drafted by the Lakers in the NBA draft of 2014.

• Position: Point Guard Height: 6´4 About: I have John Wall as one of the best UK players ever because he was good at play making and he would set his team mates up in the right place to score. He also was very good at driving to the basket and scoring. He averaged 16.6 points per game and 6.5 assists per game.

• Position: Center Height: 6´11 About: The reason why Demarcus Cousins is here is because I feel like he did all the dirty work by getting all the rebounds and he would put it right back up with a dunk. He was a rebounding monster, excellent 3 point and mid range shooter for a center. He was all around a good player. He was the 5th pick in the first round of the 2010 NBA draft and became an All American in 2010 and made the NBA all rookie first team.