Our Jackets are Buzzing Their Way Through the Season

On Friday, January 11th, our Basketball Jackets competed against the Franklin County Flyers in an important district game

Photo by Nia Jaco.

The Jackets warming up before their match-up against the Flyers.

Nia Jaco, Staff Reporter

Basketball season is in full swing and our Jackets and Lady Jackets have recently competed in very important district games this past Friday evening. District games are important because they decide the rankings of each team within our district when the tournament rolls around in late February.

Both Jacket teams played against the Flyers earlier this season on December 7th of 2018 at Franklin County High School. The Jackets won their previous match over the Flyers by seventeen points. However, our Lady Jackets fell short by six points at the end of their matchup against the Lady Flyers.

Our Jackets and Lady Jackets were in action against the Flyers and Lady Flyers again last Friday night January 11th at the Hive. Our Lady Jackets played first at 6:00 pm followed by the Jackets who played at 8:15 pm. The Lady Jackets lost their battle to the Lady Flyers. Our girls fought a hard battle but got into foul trouble before the first half of the game was over. Our Lady Jacket’s leading scorer was Delaney Enlow with 11 points, followed by Ellie Dougherty with 7 points, and Abbie Hudson with 5. The final score of the girls game ended up being 34-67.  Since they were defeated, the Lady Jackets are second in district play for this season. However, our Jackets won their match against the flyers with a final score of 62-48. It was a pretty easily fought battle and our boys came out on top by a significant amount of points.

Photo by Olivia Jackson.
Lady Jackets’ game against the Lady Flyers.

The leading scorer for our Jacket team was Brandon Cromwell with 26 points, followed by Ashton Devore with 14 points, and Hunter Penn with 13 points. As of right now, it is hard to say where our Jackets will be ranked in our district this year, but we should know their rankings once they play Frankfort High School again on January 25th.

The next district matchup our Jackets compete in is against the Western Hills Wolverines at the Hive. The girl’s tipoff first at 6:00 pm followed by the boys at 7:30. You don’t want to miss it!