The Captivating State Capital

Join me on a brief walk through the Kentucky State Capitol Building

Photo by Catie Heerman.

Kentucky’s Capitol stands tall against the moving clouds on Thursday, December 12th, 2018.

Catie Heerman, Staff Reporter

While many residents of Versailles are aware of the nearby state capital of Frankfort, a surprisingly low percentage of Woodford County High School students have ever walked the grand marble halls of the Capitol Building. Unbeknownst to many, the main building is open from 8 AM to 4 PM on weekdays and is fully open to the public during those hours. Entry is free, tours are self-guided, and photography is welcome. The breathtaking views and intricate architecture of the inside and outside of the Capitol building can easily be enjoyed in a brief afternoon trip where even longtime Kentucky residents can experience something new.

• The distinct architecture of the Kentucky Capitol Building stands out against the grey sky.

• Looking directly down the stairs of the main building as you walk closer to the entrance, you can see the full view of the long and intricate staircase.

• Just before entering the building, you can see a historic sign of identification with the full title for the main Capitol Building.

• Directly upon entrance, the building opens into a grand foyer with statues of major historical figures born in Kentucky. The main statue features the 16th President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln.

• Looking directly up in the main foyer, you can see the iconic dome shaped ceiling. This dome is lit with a color-changing light that reflects an array of colors on to the inner portion of the dome.

• Directly left of the foyer is the Supreme Court room. When in session, the room is used by members of the Kentucky Supreme Court.

• This beautiful interior can be seen from the open-concept third floor.

• On the third floor, you can see the Kentucky House room. Each placard reads the name of a representative in the Kentucky House.

• At the front of the room, you can see the seat for the Speaker of the House.

• The four dome pendentives of the Capitol are each unique with a picture related to a moment in Kentucky’s history.

• As you leave the main portion of the building, don’t forget to explore the small historic library. The library keeps many books including records of Kentucky’s House and Senate history dating nearly 200 years back.

• As you exit the Capitol building, be sure to note the impressive architecture of the front entrance. The Capitol building was completed in 1910 and still stands proudly over 100 years later.