What’s Life Without Work?

An interview with a soon-to-be-retiree

Group of Business People Working Together in Office

Kayla Hadley, Staff Reporter

Work. What is work for you? Could be stress, dreadful, pain, excitement, tremendous. Joe Smith would know all these feelings that come with a job.  Joe started working at the age of twelve as a medicine delivery person. During his high school years, he painted houses and delivered newspapers. When he graduated high school he decided to join the Navy he visited various countries and met new people.

When he decided to come back he was about 21 and already in search of new work. Joe found a job at a furniture factory, felt that it wasn’t his “passion” so moved on to the next thing that caught his eye. College! While at college he got a job at Lady Of Peace (a mental institution) and helped out. After graduating college he found himself starting a program to help out with Preschool programs for poor children. He worked this job for about one year before moving onto the next thing that caught his eye.

Joe later that year moved to Washington D.C to work for the O.E.O (Office Of Economic.) He then found himself working in different places around the U.S such as California, New Mexico Washington State, etc. About a year and a half later he moved to Alaska to become the Rule Development Expert. This Particular job helped Indians and Eskimos start a business in their villages. Last time he checked this business is still up and running!

…the “rewards” that you get from working isn’t always the money.

— Joe Smith

In 1972, he was asked to come back to help the former Governor Windle Ford to establish the cabinet for human resources. Finally in 1983 Joe’s last job (and still working) the C.E.O. of The Primary Health Care Association. In this job, they set up medical trials, provide training, workshops, operate the I.P.A. etc. Joe has been working with Healthcare for about 35 years now.

Joe plans to retire at the end of this year, at age 80 and a half. He said, “I still don’t know if it’s time to retire!” but in ways, he realizes that changes are going on in Healthcare and certain ideas, needs a younger pair of eyes. Joe said, “He has the slightest idea,” what he’s going to do after he retires. He feels as if the time he had to work on this Earth he tried his best to make Earth a better place from when he leaves it. Finally, advice for those future workers, love the work you’re doing, and the “rewards” that you get from working isn’t always the money.