Coach Johnston and Ms.Hicks in Ms.Schuerman’s room (By:Brook Jankowski)
Coach Johnston and Ms.Hicks in Ms.Schuerman’s room

By:Brook Jankowski

New Athletic Directors Spring Into Action

Coah Johnson and Coah Hicks take on the role of Athletic Director and Co Athletic Director

October 26, 2017

We have a new Athletic Director and Co-Athletic Director this year. Coach Jay Lucas retired from teaching and his position as Athletic Director. Taking his place this year are Coach Johnson and Ms. Hicks as Athletic Director and Co-Athletic Director.

Coach Johnson

Coach+Johnston+in+the+Cafteria+during+Lunch.++

Photo By: Brook Jankowski

Coach Johnston in the Cafteria during Lunch.

Coach Dennis Johnson is the new Athletic Director for WCHS. Coach Johnson is the football coach at WCHS and oversees the AIMES room. Being the Athletic Director means that you are an administrator who takes care of the all sports-related events for a school–whether that school is a university or a high school. Luckily, Johnson is the person for the position. “I have been here for three years and I’m from Harrisburg, Kentucky. I went to the University of Kentucky. I played three sports in high school,” said Johnson.

The primary role of Athletic Director is to “Make sure every sport is treated equally. I think you make sure the sport is running smoothly. Make sure the students and coaches have everything they need to be successful and have the facilities to get what they need to get done. Then be a support for our coaches and assistant coaches,” said Johnson.

The most rewarding aspect of being an Athletic Director is “To be involved with kids. when you see kids in school every day, then see them do their after-school activities. I think is very enjoyable for me. You see them 7 to 8 hours during the day in school and then see them do practice at times. That’s an amazing thing to see.”

Coach Johnson makes a good Athletic Director because he says, “I love sports, kids, and being around people. I want to see athletic teams be good. My father was an Athletic Director for 30 years and I have been able to see how he went on with his business. You have to like people too, and I’m a people person.”

Coach Johnson looks for certain aspects in the coaches he hires as well. “I think the first you have to have a coach that loves kids first. I think more than a coach, you also have to be a life coach, as well. You have to know kids come in as adults with a great attitude that they have other issues going on, but they have to be passionate about what they do. They have to like their sport and have some knowledge on their sport. You have to love kids.”

How to support coaches is, ” I support my coaches by calling them. I call them at least once a week and I email them all the time.  I try to show up to their events and activities to support. If they have an issue, you show up to support them.  I think constant contact and communication is very important for all the coaches to make sure the issues to deal with the issue.”

Thank you, Coach Johnson, for taking the position. You’re doing a great job as Athletic Director!