The Apathy of It All- “Senioritis” Spreads

Why students of all grades don’t want to do their work.

The Situation

As I prepare to shed my boring high school identity for a much more exciting  collegiate one, I’ve already been developing symptoms of senioritis. The thought of having to spend 3 more weeks doing work when I’m already halfway out of the door exhausts me, but at least I’ve been told that is normal. Through whispers amongst teachers in hallways or on TikTok, however, there seems to be an outbreak of senioritis in grades as young as elementary school. Some suspect this is because the Covid quarantine was not effective against the illness targeting time management, but a claim I’ve heard from fellow peers is the pre-existing condition known as “Gifted Kid Burnout”. With a slew of hypothesis pouring in, I thought the best way to say goodbye to WCHS would be to provide teachers, surely experiencing burnout in their own way, some answers.

The Suspects

Plain Old Senioritis

This is something that has been talked about as a problem, maybe even an epidemic, since my parents have gone to school. If this is the leading cause, one might think it is because of a lack of change, but I have found that quarantine and burnout has only worsened the aliment of “senioritis”. It’s something I never thought I’d struggle with, but I have found myself not necessarily getting tired of learning and classes, but wanting to enter a new phase in my life. Most people I’ve spoken to are sad to go and move on, but I’m hoping there are others like me who are ready to face the adult challenges I’ve heard so much about and get out of here. The structure and culture of high school are simply boring to me, especially when my major (theatre) isn’t a core class and I’ve run out of Theatre classes to take. I simply feel as if there is nothing else for me here.

20% found Senioritis responsible, 1 response noting the start as being “midway through this year” and the other claiming it was always an issue that worsened.

Quarantine Habits

March 13th, 2020 is a day we all know that will go down in history and despite being one of these people that didn’t fully process the reality of living through such a historical event, I look back on that initial quarantine with confusion and fear. I can’t separate the shame of being a freshman from the embarrassing ideas I came up with to entertain myself, various trends that we all used to hide our real thoughts. A large part of ignoring reality took form in the practice of online school. It was foreign, socially nerve wracking, but also, really easy. Why would I do work in class when I realized I really don’t need a teacher to get assignments to the minimum grade I want? What’s the point in learning if the process is just assignment, grade, move on.

10% found Quarintine Habits responsible, lamenting, “I don’t prioritize my work because I feel like there is not a lot expected of me. During COVID, teachers fed me answers and I just kept on expecting them to do that even when COVID was over.”

Gifted Kid Burnout

A term coined by Millennials online who want to find a reason for their apathy even outside of school, it, unfortunately, still explains a feeling I’ve had ever since my elementary school decided to flag me as gifted. I recognize there is a lot of snotty privileged in complaining about being that kid who always got to go to the MAP score pizza parties and was told I was special, but it goes to show that the separation of “High reading” vs “low reading” and etc doesn’t really help anyone. The anxiety and social pressure I felt to be great, to attend every reward party, and exceed, not just meet, expectations ran out quickly. The middle school classes allowed me the freedom to express creativity in my own way, but once it got harder to be “special”, I slowly started to get tired of it. Do I still strive for teacher approval? Absolutely, but not necessarily to feel “gifted” or “special”, to be rewarded, or to keep exceeding, it is merely about my inner issue of being a “teacher’s pet” and knowing what I need to do to keep As, good classes, and overall, seem smart, but not go above and beyond. That’s too much work for me.

40% found Gifted Kid Burnout as the culprit for their struggles, an issue starting anywhere from eighth grade to this year. Middle school seems to be the main place of origin, however.

Something Else

Based on student survey, some believe it is other triggers entirely!

30% utilized the “other” option, either not taking the question seriously (ironically proving my point) or participants just not being sure!

The Symptoms

“I’d say my symptoms are just not wanting to do work. I end up getting it done in time but it feels like pulling teeth. I’m also not doing any work that’s not mandatory. Like for example if it’s not clearly stated as homework whether in person or online I’m not doing it because I simply don’t have the energy. I also find it more difficult to do work for classes I don’t love. And 90% of the time it’s nothing against the teacher I just feel like I’ve been running on a “get work done” treadmill for 3 years and all I want to do is take a break.”- Anonymous

“I think it is a combination of poor time management and having trouble being productive in class. It is just easier to do some assignments at home rather than in class surrounded by other people.”- Anonymous

“Kinda forget i have work and better environment, but like that can’t be at my house, i can only do work at school.”- Anonymous

“I can’t focus in class and I don’t know why. I was forced to do a lot of higher grade level work in elementary and middle school, I just seem burnt out now” -Anonymous

“I just postpone doing work to make more room for more fun things that I could be doing. However, I do recognize that I am actually much less productive at home because it gives me more access to things that I could distract myself with.”- Anonymous

“Wishing to work from home, and bad time management due to that.” – Anonymous

“I don’t prioritize my work because I feel like there is not a lot expected of me. During COVID, teachers fed me answers and I just kept on expecting them to do that even when COVID was over.”- Anonymous

“It’s a motivation thing for me. We have so many different assignments that take a lot of time in all of our classes so managing all of that can be really hard.”- Anonymous

“There’s poor time management, which is sort of a personal problem, but studying takes a lot of time and the resources usually just lead to more work instead of a solution, like a “maybe with more practice you’ll get it?” Also, I get teachers’ jobs aren’t to be counselors or any mental health professional, but there’s a lack of motivation (essentially) and some teachers aren’t really down to earth on what too much work does to a still developing teenager, even 18 year old seniors are still capable of being overwhelmed. I know we still have to have a 5 day seven hour school week, but the constant rinse and repeat everyday with the same people is draining and has lowered both my confidence and willingness to work. this sounds really rushed im sorry dawg but yk the whole time thing (goofy emoji🤪)”- Anonymous

The Solution

While I don’t quite understand what this student was trying to say, it perfectly encapsulates the balance that we have to navigate. As a student myself, I appreciate a teacher who talks to me like I am an adult, respects me as a person and not just a subordinate who is expected to tackle any barrage of work I am given. Part of my struggles result in being heavily involved and passionate about my extracurricular, theatre. Where some students’ majors exist within the school day, my life is what happens after school into late hours of the night at rehearsal. A teacher than understands that and gives us time to work is my saving grace.

In contrast, however, if a teacher is too lax, I will not do any work in their class. I become comfortable with having “rough days” and when I do have the drive to do the work, it is the bare minimum. This is more effective in the sense that I will never not do my work in fear of bad grades, a very good motivator for gifted kids especially. However, I know I have more drive in other classes and I am not giving my best.

I’m aware finding this balanced is nuanced and difficult but if you had to lean towards one over the other, its providing a safe environment to work. School is not everyone’s 1# priority, especially when some students have situations at home that steal their attention. A teacher who understands their power and how we have been through a rough patch with Covid, but generally, in a rough point in their lives and may have worse lives than most, is one who will understand how to handle their students. The only advice I can offer is talk to them, know them, and care about them. Even if you think have, the obvious attempt means the world to us and the teachers I won’t forget are the ones who never forget about me.