Mr.+Sealand+in+action+teaching+logarithms.++

Joseph Carey

Mr. Sealand in action teaching logarithms.

Mr. Sealand: Math Extraordinaire

Meet Mr. Sealand, WCHS' new Math teacher.

Mr. Justin Sealand comes to WCHS already a seasoned math teacher of 14 years. Prior to Woodford, Sealand taught math at Lexington Catholic, doubling as a football coach for the LCHS Lions. Before moving to Kentucky, he taught at several schools in Memphis, Tennessee, and the Western Mississippi area. A key member of the Math Department, he covers Calculus, both iterations of AP Calculus (AB and BC), AP Statistics, and Introduction to College Math.

Mr. Sealand’s passion for teaching developed at a young age. “I was one of the weird people who knew what I wanted to do pretty early on,” said  Sealand. “I remember a pretty definitive moment my freshman year of high school where I thought to myself I’d really like to come back to high school after college and high school and be a math teacher and a football coach. Really, this is something I’ve wanted to do since I was around fifteen years old.”

Like many of us last year, Mr. Sealand’s first day on the job was at home, teaching derivatives and factoring polynomials onscreen over Google Meet. “What a year,” Sealand said from his desk in room 205. “It was weird being a new teacher in a new building.”

Mr. Sealand has enjoyed getting to know Woodford in the past few years and is looking forward to the coming year. An avid football player in his high school and college years, Mr. Sealand has also coached high school football for schools in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Kentucky. In the future, he hopes to revisit the playing field as a coach for the Yellow Jackets. “I’m excited for what the year has in store, and I look forward to returning to coaching when there are fewer diapers in the house.”

The Jacket Journal • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Jacket Journal Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *