Evelyn Milburn goes up for the ball during a heated volley.

Evelyn Milburn: Volleyball

Evelyn Milburn plans to continue her academic and athletic career at Kentucky State University.

Evelyn Milburn is a part of the class of 2020 at Woodford County High School. She has been playing volleyball for 6 years and the decision to play came easy to Milburn when wanting to prove to her sister that she was good at it and even maybe better than her. Aside from the sibling rivalry, she also thought about what better way to pay for college while doing the sport that she fell in love with. So how about we get to know Senior athlete Evelyn Milburn?

What is your greatest accomplishment?                                                                             

My greatest accomplishment is getting a full scholarship to play in college. I know a lot of people say choosing the college is their’s, but my greatest accomplishment was all my options. I loved knowing I was picking my future school for my own reasons. Not because it was my only option.

What was your fondest memory of playing this sport(s)?                                             

My fondest memory was making is all the way to the regional finals games and beating some rivals we had never beaten my senior year. (ex. West Jessamine, Lexington Catholic)

What position do you play?

I am a setter.

What is your number? 

My number is 2.

Are you a Captain?                                                                                                                       

I’ve been the varsity captain since I was a sophomore 🙂

What is your personal goal for this sport(s)?

I want to be named to the All American team and win SIAC freshman and setter of the year next year.

What foods or drinks help you gear up and stay energized for the game/event?

I LOVE water. I have never been a fan of Gatorade and this is probably the most unhealthy thing ever, but before every game, I drink a Dr. Pepper and eat a Butterfinger.

What is the best part about competing?

My favorite part about competing is how close the volleyball world is. I have almost never played a team that I didn’t know 2 or more girls on the opposing team.

What is your favorite sports quote?

My favorite sports quote is actually so cheesy but when I was in 8th grade I wrote it on my shoes. “I am second,” and “You will never outwork me,” both were said by Kobe Bryant but I took it heavily. I wrote I am second across the insides of the tongue in my shoes to remind myself before every game and every practice that there’s always someone better than me.

What emotions do you feel when you play well? 

I feel almost nothing when I’m playing. Before I’m just ready. After I’m either disappointed or feeling myself. But while I’m playing its time for business and the only thing I think about is the game I’m in.

What is your favorite song to listen to prior to competing?

I listen to “Met Gala” by Migos before every game.

How does athletics make you a better student or worker?

I have the urge to do better every day and to get better every day and that mentality has weaved itself into my work and school.

What advice would you give your underclassmen?

Do what you love and (if) it becomes too much, do better.

How has playing this sport affected you for your future?

Volleyball gave me the mentality to never give up and it gives me something to look forward to every day.

Where do you plan on going to school next year?  What do you plan on studying? 

Kentucky State University &  Elementary Education.

Who is your role model? Who do you look up to?

My role model is myself. I work hard for where I am and I started low, really low, and I’ve done a lot to get where I am and I’m really proud of myself.

The Jacket Journal • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Jacket Journal Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *