Devetta Jackson

Cameron Jackson about to vote for the first time.

Cameron Jackson: College Student From Home

Cameron Jackson is a Woodford County High School graduate who has, excluding his time in college, lived in Woodford county his whole life. He is currently attending the University of Kentucky, but recently moved back home after all of his classes were moved online.

What is your favorite memory of Woodford County?

Taking the scenic route home from school going around just driving. because I have something to do I need to get home but it’s fun to take a long way home sometimes.

What one of your favorite things to do in Woodford County?

I don’t know, I always like the Christmas parades there are nonspecific that stand out but I’ve been in a few of them and I always enjoyed them.

What makes you smile?

When people spontaneously, this is especially true when they don’t know each other very well, but what if someone makes a reference and then other people for whatever reason I get that reference and then they just immediately start building a friendship and I haven’t had that experience since high school. Like, a perfect example was archery team we were fairly well-known to each other but there’s a generation gap whenever Freshman Class comes in and one year someone just randomly said the room where it happens and then half the bus started singing Hamilton.

What is your favorite activity/hobby?

Is being a dork count as a hobby? I like D&D because there’s a lot of social aspects to it and lets me have a goal-oriented reason to keep up with some people from high school.

What is one of your favorite moments with your friends in Woodford County?

One that always sticks out to me is Ms. Porter’s class we would go to the shop every day and we progressively did less and less on task work in the shop. We never did anything stupid because we wanted to be able to still go back to the shop but one day it eventually devolved into canoeing with brooms. Where someone found a base of a trash can that had wheels on it so they sat on it and with a broom they started and everyone else just kind of slowly looked over that way and said, “What are you doing?”

6What would you say to people just moving to Woodford County?

Make an effort to meet your neighbors. There are a lot of good community groups here that aren’t necessarily advertised. …There are a lot of community events here. Check out the Woodford theater. They do a lot of stuff and I wish I went to them more because I had friends who did that and they’ve since moved so I don’t have friends that are a part of it anymore. We have community stuff that does not get advertised.

What is one of your best stories from Woodford County?

I don’t know man, all my memories are goofing off with some friends at lunch is not like a specific event to tie to it. It’s just like I can think back about that General and of the atmosphere and I can smile.

What are some positives about having to move back home?

I’m more regular with my meals here because when I’m actually at school I have to leave my whole building and go to a different building to eat so sometimes I’m like, “I don’t really want to,” so I have to try to contact all of my friends and figure out when we can get dinner at the same time so there’s like a reason to go. also I just like being around family, it is nice, it can be suffocating at times but it’s family. There’s much less noise here; there is a lot less noise than in Lexington.

The Jacket Journal • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Jacket Journal Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *