Andrew Martin, been here since ’76

Andrew Martin: Been Here Since ’76!

Andrew Martin

Martin’s senior yearbook picture (1976).

Andrew Martin has been a resident of Woodford County since 1976, making that 44 years!

What is your favorite memory of Woodford County?

My favorite memory in high school was the fun times I had in the spring when I was done with football and wrestling because I was done training. My friends and I would go fishing. I was just able to enjoy my spring and that being said my senior year, me and about 10-12 of my friends went on a ski trip to Snowshoe, West Virginia.

What one of your favorite things to do in Woodford County?

When I was in high school, my favorite thing to do with my friends was to go to Lexington. In Lexington, we went to the movies and hung out. If we stayed in town, we would go to my friend’s house and have pool parties. Now, I enjoy going to restaurants and breweries. I think that Woodford County has good dining options.

What makes you smile?

Spending time with my family.

Sam Martin
Martin enjoys Christmas day with his family.

What is your favorite activity/hobby?

Now, my favorite hobby is going out on the boat at Herrington lake as well as doing things at home such as mowing grass and taking rides on the farm. It is fulfilling to take care of the farm.

What is one of your favorite moments with your friends in Woodford County?

Some of my favorite moments in high school were obviously wrestling and football. I enjoyed my teachers, and I wasn’t the best student in the world, but I still enjoyed the whole atmosphere.

What would you say to people just moving to Woodford County?

I would say to someone moving here who doesn’t know anything about Woodford county is the school system is pretty good, despite the new school situation, it is relatively safe, and there are people all over the world who chose to live here. There is something different about Woodford County.

What is one of your best stories from Woodford County?

One of my best stories is that one night before an election day, me and a bunch of my buddies tried to toilet paper some houses. We were driving through Versailles and we got pulled over by the cops because we got snitched on. No one got in any real trouble but in the back of my truck was a shotgun to rabbit hunt the next day. Long story short, I got pulled over by police with a shotgun in the back of my truck. We weren’t drinking, we were just being stupid. This just shows how different times are.

What was your biggest accomplishment in high school?

During my senior season of wrestling in the Woodford County Invitational I won a match in the semifinals by pinning a guy that beat me the week before, and I pinned him with ten seconds left in the match and the entire gym was watching…I ended up getting beat in the finals.

Where was the hangout or cool places in Woodford?

After football games, everyone used to go to Taco Tico (where El Tap is currently).

What is the biggest difference in the school system now that when you were there?

The biggest difference is all of the rules and consequences for doing dumb things are much greater than they were when I was in school.

The Jacket Journal • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Jacket Journal Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *