Dorrah Martin

Mr. Offutt at his desk in the Guidance Office.

Getting “Social” with Mr. Don Offutt

A new year means new faces at WCHS, and Don Offutt is one of them. Offutt is the school’s new social worker and men’s assistant basketball coach. He attended Western Kentucky University. His major is in sociology, and his minor is in criminology. After four years at WKU, he attended Kentucky State University to get his master’s in special education. He then went to Asbury University to finish his master’s in social work. 

When asked why he became a social worker, Offutt said, “I’m in the business of helping people, I want to help people. I’ve seen too many people not smile enough and I’ve seen too many people with a lot of issues that they have dealt with and I feel like I can help with.” From a young age, he was exposed to social work, since his mom was heavily involved in that field.

In Offut’s free time, he enjoys napping, watching and attending sports events, coaching basketball, and spending time with his friends and family. Offut said, “I’m a really big family person, so every Sunday my mom cooks this big ol’ meal and we all go over there and eat, fellowship, and enjoy each other’s company.”

Offutt explained the Woodford County High School community as being unique and different from the other schools he worked at. He expressed his gratitude to his colleagues: Ms. Taylor, Ms. Wilson, Ms. Lewis, and Ms. Simmons. Offutt also described the community to have a “home feel” as it seems like everybody knows everybody. Offutt was impressed with the number of people that come to the sports events and the amount of support from the student body along with the community.

‘Be careful how you walk because you may be the only Bible that people ever read.’ So, therefore, you never know whose watching you whether it may be young or old, just be careful because some people may live vicariously through you. They may not believe certain things or may not see certain things the way that they are supposed to but they will mimic your move and you gotta be careful because you never know whose watching you.

— Don Offutt

The Jacket Journal • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Jacket Journal Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *