Hidden Temple on Furnace Mountain

Calming Buddhist temple on the side of Furnace Mountain

Beautiful architecture, gorgeous scenery, and a tranquil environment best describe the Furnace Mountain Zen Center. High up on the side of Furnace Mountain stands a beautiful Zen Buddhism temple. Since 1986, this temple has been a place of meditation and peace. Unlike Buddhism, Zen Buddhism focuses on the peace and stability of the mind and body, making it a way of life, rather than a religion. The co-founders Seung Sahn and Dae Gak created this temple to promote spiritual balance and to help the restless find peace in life. The temple offers many retreats for groups and individuals lasting from a day to a month.

As someone who has visited this place of relaxation, I can say how you feel at peace the moment you step onto the grounds, although the climb up the mountain was not very pleasant, it was well worth it. Another thing you can do at the temple is a work-study exchange; in this way, you can experience the temple’s remarkable beauty and help take care of the grounds for a reduced price. This program can last from one month to three months. The temple itself is modeled after ancient Buddhist temples in South Korea, featuring Zen garden and pond, along with a teahouse. The grounds are also accommodated with cottages for overnights stays. Even if you don’t want to go for peace and relaxation, the area in which the temple is located is a beautiful place to hike.

Did you know this place existed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

If you told me there was a Zen Buddhist temple in Kentucky, I would not have believed you. Sometimes it can be hard to expand our views when we’ve grown up in the horse capital of the world, but Kentucky has so many hidden gems yet to be discovered. Next time someone asks you about Kentucky, tell them we have the most gorgeous places to hike and different cultures to experience. Tell them we have a Buddhist temple, a haunted sanatorium, a gorilla sanctuary, and unique local businesses—tell them about Kentucky.

To learn more go to: http://www.furnacemountainzen.org/

The Jacket Journal • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Jacket Journal Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *