The Jacket Journal

Dance Gold

Dance marathon held to raise funds for pediatric cancer research

Sophia McKee, Staff Reporter

University of Kentucky’s DanceBlue is a student-run organization that works to raise funds year-round and all of the proceeds go toward pediatric cancer research. Once a year, public school students participate in a 24-hour dance marathon—no sleeping, no sitting–to help raise money with DanceBlue. Many high schools will also participate with mini marathons.

Photos by Sophia McKee

Kids enjoy bumping off each other inside inflatable bubbles.

On Saturday, February 10, WCHS hosted the event called DanceGold, a six-hour marathon. There were plenty of activities throughout the day, including volleyball, basketball, bubble soccer, hula hooping, cupcake decorating, zumba, corn hole, and there was also an area set up with props and balloons to take pictures. The first hour or so was spent learning the DanceBlue dance, which included several songs and transitions featuring viral videos (think “An Avocado, Thanks” and “Listen Linda”). After everyone learned the choreography, we danced every hour, on the hour.

Sarah Karbach (11) shared her experience. Karbach said, “I had a lot of fun and there were lots of activities to keep everyone entertained. Learning the dance was kind of challenging at first, but it was easy to get the hang of because we did it every hour.”

We were all having fun while helping kids battling cancer. I’m excited to go back next year.”

— Kayla Maynard (11)

During the last hour, everyone participated in a glow dance! There were glow-in-the-dark balloons and tons of bracelets and headbands made out of glow sticks. At ten o’clock, the lights came back on. It was announced that we had reached the goal of $10,000—we had raised a grand total of $12,347. Savannah Karbach (11) spoke about how she felt about DanceGold. “It’s very inspiring that Woodford County raised so much money for a really great cause and I think everyone should attend next year to help raise money and to just come out and have fun because it’s a great experience,” she said. There was a final dance before everyone went home with smiles and sore feet.

When asked if DanceGold is something they’d participate in again, both Sarah and Savannah Karbach said they would love to go again next year. Kayla Maynard (11) also weighed in.  Maynard said, “We were all having fun while helping kids battling cancer. I’m excited to go back next year.”

If you’d like to donate or get involved, you can visit DanceBlue’s page here: http://danceblue.org/getinvolved/