Glory Days: A New Play

Amazing actors and important issues

Ken Tonks

An emotional scene from Glory Days as friends confront each other about tough issues.

Erin Lawson, Staff Reporter

Glory days is usually a term used to describe the carefree high school days of an adult.  However many don’t look back at their high school days that fondly. Glory Days, written by freshman Jasmine Duggins, is about the high school days of Beth and Aaron, two teens who hate their lives because of their struggles with mental health and depression. The play follows their progress, both good and bad. The play is meant to bring awareness to mental health and suicide prevention. All cast members and the writer/director are students of WCHS. I am a cast member as well, I play a girl named Danny who helps Beth and Aaron out of a dark place. There is also your classic mean girl, Hannah, the guy who is everyone’s friend, Shawn, and Beth’s friend Annie, along with many others.

CAST LIST

• Teacher 1: Danielle Anthony (9th)
  • Shawn: Jonathan Younger (10th)
  • Annie: Miriam Hickey (9th)
  • Counselor: Angie Villa (9th)
  • Hannah: Jadie Arnold (9th)
  • Aaron: Paige Short (9th)
  • Beth: Jasmine Duggins (9th)
  • Danny: Erin Lawson (12th)
Ken Tonks
A scene from Glory Days.

While the play is short, the impact it has had on me will last for a long time. Mental health and suicide prevention aren’t addressed enough in our society, and this play shines a light on things that we don’t want to think about, but that we need to start seeing. The play will be performed first block on May 14th. We hope everyone that comes walks away with a newfound awareness of the problems addressed. A lot of hard work, dedication, and tears have been put into this play and I hope you all enjoy watching it as much as I have enjoyed being a part of it.

Photo credit: Google Images.